Saturday, March 22, 2008

On a More Serious Note:


Preface

When it comes to religion I am not an in-your-face kind of guy. For most of my life I have lived my religion quietly. I don’t put smarmy bumper/window stickers on my car with religious symbols or sayings to prove my devotion.

I accept the reality that there are those who choose to worship differently than I do. They are free to do so, not just because our constitution declares it, but also because it is a right and gift given to us by the very God we worship.

My way of worship does not include tearing down another’s religion or attacking one’s beliefs to prove my faith is truer. I do not see that as a Christ-like way to teach about Him. Unfortunately, my way of worship is constantly under assault by those who act just the opposite of my way. They feel “divinely” justified in ridiculing sacred beliefs and exposing “errors” (as they suppose them to be), in The Book of Mormon.

Refusing to use spiritual discernment to determine the correctness of the Book of Mormon (as Moroni promises in Moroni, 10:4-5), they instead rely on junk science, i.e., mal-applied DNA testing and interpretation, and presumed anachronisms in its text. Their hit-and-run tactics prove they have no interest in the truth, nor a fair explanation. Diatribes rather than dialogues are their preferred method of conversing. (I expect this blog may even bear this out).

My Declaration

To my posterity I solemnly declare the Book of Mormon is true. It is the word of God translated from ancient records maintained by descendants of the tribe of Joseph, which were translated by the gift and power of God through his latter-day prophet, Joseph Smith, Jr.

It is by the power of the Holy Ghost I know this to be the truth. While there may be archeological evidence in these latter days that support the Book of Mormon, my faith is sustained by the un-erring and ever-enduring witness of the Holy Ghost.

A testimony confirmed by the spirit is never provisional. It does not waiver with the opinions of science, or give temporary approval until “something better” comes along, or until ‘error’ is discovered, or doubt is cast by unbelievers. Instead an all omniscient God, seeing all that is to come to pass, quietly assures me of its truthfulness.

It is, therefore, a sequitur that if the Book of Mormon is true, Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God, and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the divinely restored church of Him whose name it bears. For Christ declared, “Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.” (3 Nephi 14:17)

Today Thomas S. Monson now stands as the Lord’s duly authorized mouthpiece; a prophet, seer, and revelator to declare the word of God as it is revealed to him. His counselors and the members of the Quorum of the Twelve are true apostles and prophets of God.

I so testify in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

What brought this on? I know we had a conversation about testimonies and blogs recently.

I knew all this about you before, but it's good to see it in 'print'. Thanks Pops! I need to do the same.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, what brought this on? I know I am the black sheep of the kids, but don't think I have done anything especially alarming lately. (At least, I don't think so.)

Anonymous said...

That was really nice to read! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and testimony with us. I will read it to the kids later.
Carolyn (mike's)